Sunday, March 25, 2007

The Market is Smarter Than You

Was there really a connection between Saddam Hussein and Al Qaeda?

Though I have my doubts, I'm certainly not in a position to be definitive with an answer. However, This book, by Stephen F. Hayes of the Weekly Standard, argues that there was.

Given the book's premise, the polarized 1-star/5-star reviews on its Amazon page are hardly surprising, and, I would argue, don't really provide much information about book's content. There is, however, a ready guide available for understanding its real value--one that I've touched on in another context before--its used price: 1 cent.

This ranks The Connection alongside such classics as Bankruptcy, 1995, and Unfit For Command.

Viva la Price System!

4 comments:

Lippard said...

I concur with the market's assessment of Hayes' book.

Dikkii said...

I also concur.

Incidentally, you masy have stumbled on a formula for working out the worth of something after the event.

Of course, this can only work with stuff that's out of print - supply stuffs this model up with anything that still in print.

I'm going to try this out on a range of things.

Einzige said...

Your caveat is a good one, dikkii.

Even still, I can't imagine the technique can withstand too much scrutiny. After all, there are undoubtedly, e.g., many Christian-themed books that sell well, in spite of being filled with falsehoods.

The market may be smarter than us in general, but it's certainly "stupider" than us on narrow specifics.

In any case, I'll be interested in the results of your own exploration.

Dikkii said...

In any case, I'll be interested in the results of your own exploration.

Can't say I've done a search for Christian themed books that are out of print, but antiques would fit the bill, so far.

Also, artworks.

Thinking some more...