Tuesday, February 21, 2006

Skeptical Info on John Burley

If you came here via any of the search engines looking for in-depth reviews of John Burley and his products, I recommend you go first to the index to my John Burley Posts.

The main reason I have written so many posts critical of John Burley is because there isn't a whole lot of skeptical information specifically about him on the web, and often what is there is itself not credible.

My own web searches, however, did uncover a couple pretty good ones, like this page, as well as this one. It seems as though Burley's release of Progressive Profits puts to rest any question regarding whether he cares to maintain a good reputation. The product is so obvious an example of bait & switch, after all.

For more general thoughts on real estate investment, I highly recommend John T Reed, as well as the Searchlight Crusade. You'll learn far more from reading what's on those pages than you ever will from the likes of John Burley.

But, again, if you're looking for lots of information on John Burley specifically, check out all my posts!

3 comments:

Solan said...

I've read Rich Dad, Poor Dad, and found the book inspiring despite its inconsistencies. The result was that I took better hold of my economy, and have gone from 30000 credit card debt to decent savings in a few years.

Of course, Kiyosaki is a fraud, and some of his money-making suggestions are more than dubitable. The property schemes are the worst. So I read your criticisms with great joy!

But since you know the negatives, I'll just add the positives: His fake childhood stories are perhaps the most inspirational, and he conveys the common sense tip of saving first and spending after (not the other way around) really well. Also, his advice not to dream up uses for your money long before they're earned (which in effect has people spend their wages the day they come in, or before) is sound.

But for anything outside basic economic sense, I'd rather read the hard stuff: Graham, Dodd and Buffett for "micro" economics and the Austrians for "macro" speculative options. I'll soon feel my economic buffer is large enough that I'll invest in such styles.

Einzige said...

I agree with you that Kiyosaki's basic message is a good one. On the other hand, it's one that has been repeated over and over again ever since people started living much past 40. Of course the unfortunate thing is that his good lesson, whatever it is (and I agree with John T. Reed when he says no one can quite articulate what it is), is buried under so much gibberish.

Why is it that Kiyosaki's book, and not any of the countless others available, has resonated so loudly with so many people? I find it a compelling question.

Solan said...

I haven't read all those other books, but I think Kiyosaki's fake childhood stories make the whole thing come to life, and make people feel they can understand what's going on - understand what they themselves may be doing wrong in the wealth department.