Wednesday, August 02, 2006

Tilting at Windmills

I used to have an interest in being an advocate for a worldview. Such an impulse has left me, now, almost completely. I find I am not up to the task. As the iconoclast Albert Jay Nock once said, in one of my favorite essays, to be an evangelist requires "more faith in such processes than I have, and one must also have a certain dogmatic turn of temperament, which I do not possess... I am not sure enough that my opinions are right, and even if they were, a second-hand opinion is a poor possession."

There is no language in our lungs to tell the world just how we feel
No bridge of thought
No mental link
No letting out just what you think
There is no language in our lungs
There is no muscle in our tongues to tell the world what's in our hearts
No, we're leaving nothing behind
Just chiselled stones
No chance to speak before we're bones
There is no muscle in our tongues

I thought I had the whole world in my mouth
I thought I could say what I wanted to say
For a second that thought became a sword in my hand
I could slay any problem that would stand in my way

I felt just like a crusader
Lionheart, a holy land invader

But nobody can say what they really mean to say and
The impotency of speech came up and hit me that day and
I would have made this instrumental but the words got in the way

There is no language in our...


Do you hear me? Do you care?
My lips are moving and the sound is coming out
The words are audible but I have my doubts
That you realize what has been said
You look at me as if you're in a daze
It's like the feeling at the end of the page
When you realize you don't know what you just read

What are words for when no one listens anymore?
What are words for when no one listens?
It's no use talkin' at all

I might as well go up and talk to a wall
'Cause all the words are having no effect at all
It's a funny thing - am I all alone?
Something has to happen to change the direction
What little filters through is giving you the wrong impression
It's a sorry state, I say to myself

Do you hear me? Do you care?

Pursue it further and another thing you'll find
Not only are they deaf and dumb they could be going blind
And no one notices
I think I'll dye my hair blue

Media overload bombarding you with action
It's getting near impossible to cause distraction
Someone answer me before I pull out the plug

Do you hear me?
Do you care?

No comments: